Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Warm Welcome to Guest Blogger Ruth A. Casie

Ruth A. Casie
Title: Knight of Runes
ISBN: 978-14268-9258-5
Publisher: Carina Press
Release Date: November 14, 2011
Genre: Historical time travel
Ruth’s web site: www.ruthacasie.com
Ruth’s blog: www.ruthacasie.blogspot.com
Ruth’s Twitter: www. Twitter.com/RuthACasie


"Three Rules of Work: 
Out of clutter find simplicity; 
From discord find harmony; 
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." 
Albert Einstein (German theoretical physicist)
I’ve always been suspect of a person who has nothing on their desk. I remember sitting with an operations manager whose desk had a phone and desk blotter, nothing else, nada.
Not my desk. I have a blotter but that’s where the similarity ends. Being an empty nester, I waited about a year before I commandeered my daughter’s room, cleared out the last remains of her childhood, and made the room my own. It was fun to decorate just to please me. My design was simple, books. I surrounded myself with them, floor to ceiling. I did put in some necessities, a corner desk for the computer, printer, and a phone. I decided on a large library table, sitting catty corner, would be my work area. It seemed fitting with all the research and resource books I usually had stacked or scattered about.
My desk is usually covered with a small stack (or two or three) of paper/files for my different projects, research books (the ones I’m reading for pleasure are in a pile next to the sofa), a lamp (I hate using the overhead), pictures of the family, my favorite picture from the mound at Warwick Castle (for inspiration), and a bud vase with some tired lavender one of the kids brought back from a class trip (I did mention I’m an empty nester, a sentimental one). Then there’s the odd stuff that seems to magically appear, a news article my husband has left for me to read, a stress ball in the shape of a heart and my gold star paper weight for my first sale. It’s really a comfortable room.
I put things on the desk and eventually take the time to sift through it and put things in their proper place whether that’s filing, rearranging, or tossing it out altogether.
I used to have a ‘clean as you go’ theory. Clean of edits that is. Whenever I picked up my writing I would read the story from the beginning, no matter how far along I was. I’d look for the weak words, put in the five senses, etc. I always found something to edit. One day I laughed out loud. I had over 125 pages written, if I started from the beginning each time I’d spend more time reading than writing. Geez, I’d never finish the story. 
Now I use my cluttered desk theory. Put it all down, then tackle the edits and rewrite.  I’m organized, to a point, but find myself putting the story down to get it written not really worrying about overused/weak words or verbs, using the five senses, tightening up sentences, making certain all the hooks are in place, reviewing and editing the Point-Of-View, combing through for show vs. tell, well the list goes on.
In essence, I’ve de-cluttered my desk as well as my writing. What does your desk look like?
In honor of the release of her debut book, Knight of Runes, Ruth is giving away a $5 Amazon gift card. To win, leave a comment about what your desk looks like. A winner will be randomly chosen.

Ruth’s Bio
For twenty-five years she’s been writing for corporate America. Encouraged by her family and friends this ballroom dancing, Sudoku playing, aspiring gourmet cook has given way to her inner muse. She’s let her creative juices flow and started writing a series of historical time travel romance stories. Her debut novel, Knight of Runes published by Carina Press is now available. She hopes you read her stories and that they become your favorite adventures.
Recent Reviews:
The characters are strong, vibrant, true to their nature, and albeit very heroic.  The author, Ruth A. Casie, weaves an exciting and beautifully told legendary tale that is both rich and engaging.  It is full of, ‘on the edge of your seat’ suspense, mind-boggling drama and a forever-after romance. Ms. Casie's sparkling new novel, KNIGHT OF RUNES is a winner! ~ Romance Junkies – 5 Blue Ribbons
I totally enjoyed this time travel romance. I actually felt like I was Rebeka immersed in her adventure. I found this book well written, warmhearted and believable. I loved the use of runes, magic and ancient Druids as part of her plot. The romance was heartfelt and not overly mushy. ~ Bookloons – 3 Books
Knight of Runes
It’s the 21st century and time travel is still a Wellsian fantasy but not for Rebeka Tyler. While on an impromptu tour of Avebury, she takes a misstep at the standing stones, and finds herself in the right place but tossed back into the 17th century. When Lord Arik, a druid knight, finds Rebeka wandering his lands without protection, he swears to keep her safe. But Rebeka can take care of herself. When Arik sees her clash with a group of attackers using a strange fighting style he is intrigued.
Rebeka is desperate to return to her time. She poses as a scholar sent by the king to help find out what’s killing Arik’s land to get access to the library. But as she decodes the ancient runes that are the key to solving his mystery and sending her home, she finds herself drawn to the charismatic and powerful Arik.
As Arik and Rebeka fall in love, someone in Arik’s household schemes to keep them apart and a dark druid with a grudge prepares his revenge. To defeat him, Arik and Rebeka must combine their skills. Soon Rebeka will have to decide whether to return to the future or trust Arik with the secret of her time travel and her heart.

1 comment:

  1. I don't do much at my desk at home, my desktop computer is there, my scanner, a Marvin the Martian cup that I use for pens/pencils, other small office necessities...that's about it. At work I really can't keep personal things, we share desks, I work a 2nd shift so the other shifts will also be sitting there. Now if I had a huge home, I would definitely make room for my reading room, have a nice desk and books everywhere! :)

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete